I purchased this car with a blown motor and trashed interior. After nearly 2 years of mechanical restoration I am now working on the interior.
To begin with, the interior was covered in a cheap carbon fiber dash overlay kit. Basically this is a carbon fiber piece that is glued onto the interior pieces. The glue was covering every piece of plastic in the interior, and took quite a bit of work to remove. Here is a before shot of my gauge cluster and other dash pieces:
First I removed the glue by scrubbing it with goo gone and water. Then I sanded the piece down using 600 grit sand paper, followed by a wet sand using 1000 grit paper. After the piece was clean and dry, I sprayed it with Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner.
After a 3 coats, I let the paint dry and then I wet sand each piece with 1000 grit sand paper. This helped to remove the rough texture. The finished results are as follows:
These items have yet to be installed, but should round off the interior beautifully. I have also elected to remove the steering column gauge pod as I am not happy with how it sits. I will instead be purchasing a new 3 gauge speaker pod instead of the current 2 gauge pod I have installed.